Cpl, in partnership with our client Pfizer, are currently recruiting for a Process Development Scientist to work on site in Pfizer’s state of the art biologics facility in Grange Castle, Dublin West.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Pfizer Ireland Pharmaceuticals Grange Castle manufacturing plant which is situated on a 90-acre site in South Dublin. Grange Castle's state of the art technology & production expertise results in the production of quality-driven products that improve people's lives around the world.
Your New Role
Pfizer’s product portfolio comprises of multiple protein biopharmaceuticals and vaccine products. Pfizer’s vaccine technology portfolio comprise multiple approaches for the creation of effective vaccines. Core to these vaccine technologies are chemical conjugation steps where immunogenic molecules such as polysaccharides are covalently linked to other carrier/adjuvant molecules. The processes for these products are necessarily a fusion of glycoconjugation chemistry and large molecule bioprocess purification. In this laboratory-based role will focus on the characterization of these steps (e.g., aspects of kinetics and process control) and the subsequent improvement of these processes for existent vaccines and protein in commercial manufacturing, and other vaccine or protein products in the later stages of development programs at Pfizer. The Candidate will;
- Design and execute experimental studies for the development of vaccine/protein manufacturing processes. Initial focus will concentrate on Process Characterization and optimization of process steps and the optimization of purification methodologies.
- Collaborate closely with analytical scientists who will work on the characterization of these macromolecules during these process development studies.
- Work with team in the design and optimization of purification steps for glycoconjugates or other protein candidates using technologies such as filtration (normal/tangential flow), chromatography, etc.
- Provide technical support to Drug Substance Technical Services when required during investigations, new process introduction or change implementation in commercial manufacturing operations. Technical support may involve trouble-shooting manufacturing-scale process problems through experimental investigations at laboratory scales of operation.
- BSc/M.Eng/MSc/PhD in Biotechnology/Chemical engineering/Biochemical engineering/ Chemistry/ biochemistry or related discipline in the biochemical/manufacturing sciences.
- 1-3+ years of directly relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Technical fields of experience preferably to include specific knowledge and practical experience of large molecules or Proteins bioprocessing and separation sciences including Knowledge of separations methods including chromatography (principles/methods/materials) membrane & filtration sciences, physical chemistry of molecular interactions at interfaces, mass transfer principles, gained at a minimum at BEng or BSc level or through work experience. Additionally familiarity of chemical conjugation methods for macromolecules is also desirable.
- Experience in designing and executing components of experimental programs in the laboratory.
- Familiar with problem-solving, risk analysis and statistical tools.
- A team player by preference.
- An analytical thinker with a scientific curiosity and flair for laboratory experimentation.
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic and adaptable.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written).