The Information Systems Manager will have responsibility for information systems used for the collection and coordination of organisational information and data. The role includes planning, organising and managing the development and maintenance of the systems that address client information and data needs, in addition to leveraging these systems to optimise business processes across the organisation.
Principally this will involve managing a bespoke Grants Management System, document and process management on established Microsoft platforms (Office 365, SharePoint etc.) and the data visualisation tool, Tableau.
The successful candidate will work closely with stakeholders internally and externally to ensure that these systems continue to provide for their operational and information needs and to realize new organisational efficiencies. The Information Systems Manager will formulate a strategic proposal that delivers on the agreed future Information System needs of the organisation and stakeholders demonstrating effectiveness, good value and sustainability, secure agreement to that plan and the resources required to deliver it.
The Information Systems Manager will be expected to play a leadership role in the development and delivery of strategic initiatives across the organisation. These will include complex business optimisation projects to leverage the full functionality of the aforementioned Grant Management System and Office 365/SharePoint environment.
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading, managing and developing the Information Systems Team to deliver on the key objectives and goals for this function.
The Information Systems Manager will report to the Chief Information Officer. The Information Systems Manager will work closely with colleagues in all other Organisational Directorates.
Key Deliverables & Responsibilities
Lead the management of the Information Systems team;
- Ensure they maintain their customer focus, are kept current with new technological developments, are organised for efficient and effective service delivery, and continuously seek to improve processes and procedures.
- Hire, supervise and motivate Information Systems personnel; complete performance reviews; ability to coach the Information Systems team and optimise their performance
- Manage the implementation of strategies aligned to the organisational strategy, to increase efficiencies, maintain quality and ensure continuous improvements.
Advise senior management team and directorate on capital project prioritisation and strategically aligning project portfolios to organisational strategy
- Management and prioritisation of projects in an Agile environment and creating and maintaining project plans, including detailed work breakdown structures, and quality, risk management, change management and communication plans
- Directing the configuration of multiple, complex research programme calls which facilitate researchers applications for funding for specific research and facilitating end user support for over 70 corporate users, over 8000 researchers, research body award administrators and over 3000 reviewers in the international research community
- Deploying on-site software design changes to meet the needs of internal business units and facilitating client training initiatives.
- Development of strong relationships with the key stakeholders from a wide variety of disciplines, managing conflicting interests and expectations.
- Coordinating, coaching and mentoring the key stakeholders of programmes and projects, Sponsors, members of Steering Committees, Project Managers and others.
Establish and manage service level agreements for contracted services and suppliers.
- Analyse and evaluate work performed by 3rd party vendors to ensure compliance of contractual agreement.
- Advise on the technical specification relating to the development or procurement of new information systems or ICT infrastructure, assisting in the developing of Business Cases if appropriate.
Key Qualifications and Experience:
- A third level qualification, at a minimum of degree level, in Information Systems, or any discipline regarding the organisation & analysis of data e.g. applied mathematics, computer sciences, economics etc. is essential.
- Proven experience in a similar role is essential.
- Demonstrable track record in managing complex projects from inception to completion using recognised methodologies, with experience of working in an Agile environment
- Experience of leading a technical team in the delivery of ICT infrastructure and applications
- Demonstrable experience of managing, motivating and developing staff, including performance management
- Experience of leading business process optimisation initiatives and driving best practice in relation to business analysis methodologies including requirements gathering and process re-engineering
- Knowledge of cloud-based document management and collaboration platforms such as Office 365 and SharePoint Online
- Experience of data management throughout the data lifecycle, including data governance and data quality
- Practical experience of the management of change, including development of policies, procedures, and work practices, and implementation of same.