Closing Date: 28/01/2020
Job no: EI.101.19E
Grade: Level D
The Business Process Improvement & IT Department manages Enterprise Ireland’s portfolio of information systems, databases, websites and online client services as well as a global network infrastructure. The team works across the organisation on specific projects relating to procurement or development of processes and technology to support Enterprise Ireland’s operational and strategic needs.
The BPI & IT Department manages all aspects of our IT operations, working across the business units and playing a fundamental role in supporting how our business operates, driving business improvements through technology and managing risk.
The successful candidate will be an experienced DBA with strong enterprise experience on the Microsoft SQL Server Platform, be passionate about the stewardship and management of Data, integration and analytics and have excellent tSQL, database design and optimisation / tuning skills.
The Database Specialist will be working within the existing Database team with responsibility for: -
- Managing and securing SQL instances and databases within and outside of High Availably Clusters.
- Supporting and enhancing both OLTP and OLAP databases.
- SQL Server Integration Services to orchestrate Data Extraction & Transformation tasks.
- Report writing with Ad-Hoc SQL, SSRS and Power BI.
- Maintenance, design, implementation of and securing SSRS and Analytical Tabular cubes.
- Working alongside business stakeholders to design datasets, reports, dashboards for their reporting requirements.
- Daily administration duties of SQL Server 2008, 2016 & 2017 Databases, Reporting Services, Analysis Services and Integration Services including database backups, scheduled jobs, and troubleshooting. Note: SQL 2008 instances are currently being upgraded to SQL 2017 instances.
- Maintaining integrity of systems, security and data, inclusive of backups and recoveries.
- Ensure data availability and uptime of the Database Environment.
- Troubleshoot Database environment issues and provide solutions in a timely manner.
- The design, architecting, implementation and support of our data platform including testing, improving and maintaining new and existing databases.
- Support end to end maintenance requests on data sets.
- Cleanse, manipulate/transform and format datasets.
- A bias to automate repetitive tasks and improve processes and develop efficiencies.
- Participate in and/or lead the requirements, analysis, design, development, testing, implementation and support of database technology solutions.
- Complete the technical design, development and implementation of new integration packages to meet evolving requirements for both cloud and on-prem instances.
- Re-factor and enhance existing ETL packages to incorporate new capabilities / improve performance / improve resilience and apply best technical practise.
- Contribute to the development, support and implementation of ongoing enhancements and new functionality for all development using Microsoft SQL Server Databases.
- Develop and support Database and Business Intelligence solutions to agreed specifications and timescales
- Independently develop and implement efficient solutions with support from other developers and DBA’s on the team as needed.
- Assist in the execution of an overall Database architecture strategy.
- Ensure that the solutions developed are to current industry best practise and comply with internal standards.
- Understand and work in an Agile development environment.
- A willingness to follow the team’s documentations processes and contribute to creating and maintaining technical and support documentations.
- Be available to help in any area of the wider BPI and IT team where the skillset fits.
- Strong experience in the enterprise Microsoft Database Stack 2008 or later (SQL Server, SSIS, SSRS and SSAS) is essential.
- Experience of Database optimization and troubleshooting using wait statistics / Perfmon / extended events is essential.
- Experience of Designing and implementing ETL processes using SSIS is essential.
- Experience of Data warehouse and OLAP Dimensional Modelling is desirable – Kimball preferred
- Experience of the following would be desirable:
- High Availability clusters.
- Developing complex SQL and store procedures.
- SSAS Analysis Service Cubes – Tabular preferred.
- Developing DAX queries.
- Report Writing and Dashboard creation using SSRS and Power BI
- Knowledge of with agile development methodology and DevOps practices.
- Knowledge of provisioning database environments on public cloud offerings – MS Azure preferred.
- Knowledge of securing data sets using RLS and Active Directory.
- Knowledge and experience in developing and supporting OR data mapping tools such as Entity Framework.
- Excellent oral English communications and writing skills and experience to communicate effectively with key stakeholders.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- Ability to effectively work in a team environment with a co-operative and flexible attitude to colleagues.
Enterprise Ireland Behavioural Competencies
- Results Focused
- Innovation and Risk-Taking
- Problem Solving and Decision-Making
- Client Focused
- Communicating with Impact to Influence Others
- Embracing & Leading Change
- Acting / Leading with Integrity
- Developing Yourself & Others
€43,046 to €62,054 per annum contributory superannuation
Rising to €63,545 by long service increments.
€40,981 to €59,042 per annum non-contributory superannuation
Rising to €60,459 by long service increments
Candidates should note that entry will be at the minimum of the relevant scale and the rate of remuneration may be adjusted from time to time in line with Government pay policy. Subject to satisfactory performance, increments may be payable in line with current Government Policy.
Application and Selection Process:
The selection process may include short-listing of candidates. The selection criteria will be based on the requirements of the position. It is therefore important that you provide a detailed and accurate account of where you believe your skills and experience meet the requirements for the position. This should be contained in a short document (maximum 2 pages) accompanying your CV.
Applicants should note that, for shortlisting purposes in particular, clear evidence of the functional competency requirements listed as essential in this specification must be demonstrated as part of the supporting document accompanying your CV.
Enterprise Ireland is an equal opportunities employer