Earlier this year plans to get rid of traditional P45 and P60 forms were announced. The revised system will mean you can access your p45 online, getting rid of the need for paper documents. These changes will be implemented by January 2019. Until then it’s still important to make sure you receive a P45 when you leave a job.

If you’re unsure about when you need a P45 or how to get yours, these guidelines and FAQs should help you out and make starting a new job much easier.

What is a P45 & when to get your P45

A P45 form is a statement of your pay and deductions for the year up to the date you leave your job. For example, your P45 should list all of your wages and the deductions (taxes) that were taken out each month.

It’s important because it shows your employer how much tax you’ve paid so far that year and proves you were correctly taxed in your previous job. You can find a sample p45 form on the revenue website. Deductions included on a P45 are:

  • PAYE – Pay as you earn
  • PRSI – Pay-related social insurance
  • USC – Universal social charge

Your employer should give you your P45 when you leave a job, if you retire or if you are taking a career break. If you are transferring from a different branch within the same company, you will only need a p45 if the branch is treated as a separate operating point – your employer will be able to advise on this.

The difference between a P45 and a p60

A P45 is given to you when leaving a job, whereas you should receive a P60 at the end of each year from your current employer. Both contain details of your pay as well as the tax you’ve paid to the revenue. If you don’t get either document, get in touch with the revenue who will request them from your employer on your behalf.

How to get a P45 from your previous employer

When you leave a job, your employer is legally obliged to give you your P45 form. If they don’t give it to you, contact your tax office and make sure you have your PPS number ready – you’ll find contact details for your local tax office here.

The tax office will then contact your employer and get your P45 on your behalf. Alternatively, you can order your form online from the revenue, to do this you’ll need:

  • The name of the form you want (your P45)
  • Your name & phone number
  • PPS number
  • Full postal address, including Eircode
  • Employer’s reference number or TAIN (Taxpayer Advisor Identification Number)

Until the new online system is introduced in 2019, you must get your P45 form in hard copy.

What to do if your employer won’t give you your P45

If your employer doesn’t give you your P45, simply contact the revenue who will request the form from your employer.

What to do if you’ve lost your P45 form

If you lose a P45, your employer legally cannot give you a second copy. A good alternative is to get your new employers tax registration number. You can then call the revenue and give them this information along with your PPS no. and start date. They will then send a tax credits statement to your employer, so you shouldn’t be put on emergency tax.

P45 & Emergency Tax

When starting a new job, your employer will ask for your PPS number, so they can record your PSRI contributions, and your P45, if you don’t have it you’ll be emergency taxed. To avoid emergency tax, get your P45 as soon as possible and register your employment with the revenue.

Whether you’ve finished a job and started a new one, you’re taking a career break or have finished a job and are looking for a new one, it’s important to get your P45 form. Keep it safe and if you’re confused or have any questions get in touch with your local tax office who’ll be able to help.

Just finished a job and looking for a new one? Browse job opportunities across all sectors